Python Math: Implement Euclidean Algorithm to compute the greatest common divisor
Python Math: Exercise-76 with Solution
Write a Python program to implement Euclidean Algorithm to compute the greatest common divisor (gcd).
Note: In mathematics, the Euclidean algorithm[a], or Euclid's algorithm, is an efficient method for computing the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two numbers, the largest number that divides both of them without leaving a remainder.
The Euclidean algorithm is based on the principle that the greatest common divisor of two numbers does not change if the larger number is replaced by its difference with the smaller number. For example, 21 is the GCD of 252 and 105 (252 = 21 × 12 and 105 = 21 × 5), and the same number 21 is also the GCD of 105 and 147 = 252 − 105.
from math import * def euclid_algo(x, y, verbose=True): if x < y: # We want x >= y return euclid_algo(y, x, verbose) print() while y != 0: if verbose: print('%s = %s * %s + %s' % (x, floor(x/y), y, x % y)) (x, y) = (y, x % y) if verbose: print('gcd is %s' % x) return x euclid_algo(150, 304) euclid_algo(1000, 10) euclid_algo(150, 9)
304 = 2 * 150 + 4 150 = 37 * 4 + 2 4 = 2 * 2 + 0 gcd is 2 1000 = 100 * 10 + 0 gcd is 10 150 = 16 * 9 + 6 9 = 1 * 6 + 3 6 = 2 * 3 + 0 gcd is 3
Visualize Python code execution:
The following tool visualize what the computer is doing step-by-step as it executes the said program:
Python Code Editor:
Have another way to solve this solution? Contribute your code (and comments) through Disqus.
What is the difficulty level of this exercise?
Test your Programming skills with w3resource's quiz.
Python: Tips of the Day
Getting rid of unwanted characters:
You can get rid of whitespaces or any specific character using strip methods in Python. You can use either plain strip for both sides, lstrip for the left side and rstrip for the right side only.
str="+++Welcome python+++" str.strip() print(str)
- Exercises: Weekly Top 16 Most Popular Topics
- SQL Exercises, Practice, Solution - JOINS
- SQL Exercises, Practice, Solution - SUBQUERIES
- Java Array: Exercises, Practice, Solution
- C Programming Exercises, Practice, Solution : Conditional Statement
- HR Database - SORT FILTER: Exercises, Practice, Solution
- C Programming Exercises, Practice, Solution : String
- Python Data Types: Dictionary - Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Python Programming Puzzles - Exercises, Practice, Solution
- C++ Array: Exercises, Practice, Solution
- C# Sharp Basic Algorithm: Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Python Lambda - Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Python Pandas DataFrame: Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Conversion Tools