MySQL tutorial of w3resource is a comprehensive tutorial to learn MySQL. We have hundreds of examples covered, often with PHP code. This helps you to learn how to create PHP-MySQL based web applications.
What is MySQL
1. MySQL is a open source Relational Database Management System developed by Michael Widenius and David Axmark in 1994.
2. MySQL is very popular when it comes to Web development. It is widely-used as the database component of LAMP web application software stack.
3. Source code of MySQL is available under GNU General Public License.
4. MySQL is maintained by a Swedish company MySQL AB, now owned by Oracle Corporation.
Who uses MySQL
1. Some of the most visited websites like Flickr, Facebook, Wikipedia, Google (not for search), Nokia.com, YouTube.
2. Some most widely used Content Management Systems like WordPress, phpBB, Drupal.
3. Last but not least, a large number of web developers across the world.
What programming languages can be used with MySQL
You can use C, C++, PHP, ASP, Cold Fusion, Java etc.
On which platforms do MySQL work
AIX, BSDi, FreeBSD, HP-UX, i5/OS, Linux, Mac OS X, NetBSD, Novell NetWare, OpenBSD, OpenSolaris, eComStation, OS/2 Warp, QNX, IRIX, Solaris, Symbian, SunOS, SCO OpenServer, SCO UnixWare, Sanos, Tru64 and Microsoft Windows.
Some of the widely used MySQL front ends (tools for managing MySQL)
|MySQL Workbench||Official, GUI Based|
|MySQL GUI Tools||Official, GUI Based|
|phpMyAdmin||Third party, Free, Web based|
|HeidiSQL||Third party, Free, For Windows|
|Adminer||Third party, Free|
|DBEdit||Third party, Free|
|dbForge GUI Tools||Third party, Free|
|Navicat||Third party, Commercial|
|Maatkit||Third party, Command line, free|
|MySQL Sandbox||Third party, Command line, free|
Key features of MySQL
1. MySQL follows ANSI SQL 99, the standard SQL.
2. Cross Platform.
3. RDBMS features like Stored procedures, Triggers, Cursors, Views which can be updated, True Varchar support, Query caching, Sub-SELECT etc.
4.Support for replication.
5. Support for hotbackup.
6. Support for MySQL cluster.
7. Full-text indexing and searching.
8. SSL support.
9. Partial Unicode support.
What you will learn in w3resource MySQL tutorials
1. A short and concise description to help you to understand about the topic / MySQL command.
2. Syntax of the MySQL command with descriptions of all the parameters used.
3. Display of the actual table on which the MySQL command is being applied.
4. How that MySQL command can be executed with PHP.
5. Explanation of the code.
6. Output of the MySQL command when executed form windows command prompt.
7. Display of the output with PHP in a separate browser window.
8. After reading this largest third party online MySQL tutorial by w3resource, you will be able to install, manage and develop PHP-MySQL web applications by your own.
9. You may refer MySQL Documentation along with this tutorial.
We have a comprehensive, SQL TUTORIAL, which will help you to understand how to prepare queries to fetch data against various conditions.