Python: Merge two or more lists into a list of lists
Python List: Exercise - 215 with Solution
Write a Python program to merge two or more lists into a list of lists, combining elements from each of the input lists based on their positions.
Merges two or more lists into a list of lists, combining elements from each of the input lists based on their positions.
- Use max() combined with a list comprehension to get the length of the longest list in the arguments.
- Use range() in combination with the max_length variable to loop as many times as there are elements in the longest list
- If a list is shorter than max_length, use fill_value for the remaining items (defaults to None)
- zip() and itertools.zip_longest() provide similar functionality to this snippet
def merge_lists(*args, fill_value = None): max_length = max([len(lst) for lst in args]) result =  for i in range(max_length): result.append([ args[k][i] if i < len(args[k]) else fill_value for k in range(len(args)) ]) return result print("After merging lists into a list of lists:") print(merge_lists(['a', 'b'], [1, 2], [True, False])) print(merge_lists(['a'], [1, 2], [True, False])) print(merge_lists(['a'], [1, 2], [True, False], fill_value = '_'))
After merging lists into a list of lists: [['a', 1, True], ['b', 2, False]] [['a', 1, True], [None, 2, False]] [['a', 1, True], ['_', 2, False]]
Visualize Python code execution:
The following tool visualize what the computer is doing step-by-step as it executes the said program:
Python Code Editor:
Have another way to solve this solution? Contribute your code (and comments) through Disqus.
Previous: Write a Python program to sort a given positive number in descending/ascending order.
Next: Write a Python program to group the elements of a list based on the given function and returns the count of elements in each group.
What is the difficulty level of this exercise?
Test your Python skills with w3resource's quiz
Python: Tips of the Day
Big Number Readability:
you can separate zeros with underscore (_)
print(2_000_000) print(2_000_000 +1)
- New Content published on w3resource:
- Scala Programming Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Python Itertools exercises
- Python Numpy exercises
- Python GeoPy Package exercises
- Python Pandas exercises
- Python nltk exercises
- Python BeautifulSoup exercises
- Form Template
- Composer - PHP Package Manager
- PHPUnit - PHP Testing
- Laravel - PHP Framework