Ruby is a dynamic, open source, object-oriented, general-purpose programming language. It was designed and developed in the mid-1990s by Yukihiro Matsumoto ("Matz") in Japan. Ruby development began in February 1993 and the first alpha version of Ruby was released in December 1994. Ruby was influenced by Perl, Smalltalk, Eiffel, Ada, and Lisp, it borrows heavily from Perl and the class library is essentially an object-oriented reorganization of Perl's functionality. The main website of the Ruby programming language is ruby-lang.org
- Ruby was conceived on February 24, 1993.
- Following the release of Ruby 0.95 in 1995, several stable versions of Ruby were released in the following years :
- Ruby 1.0: December 25, 1996
- Ruby 1.2: December 1998
- Ruby 1.4: August 1999
- Ruby 1.6: September 2000
- Ruby 1.8 was initially released in August 2003.
- Ruby 1.9 was released in December 2007.
- Ruby 2.0.0 release on February, 2013.
- Ruby 2.1.0 was released on Christmas Day in 2013.
- Ruby 2.2.0 was released on Christmas Day in 2014
Features of Ruby:
- Open source programming language.
- Simple Syntax
- Normal Object-Oriented features (ex. class, method calls)
- Advanced Object-Oriented features(ex. Mix-in, Singleton-method)
- Operator Overloading
- Exception Handling
- Iterators and Closures
- Initial support for Unicode and multiple character encodings
- Garbage Collection
- Dynamic Loading of Object files
- Interactive Ruby Shell (a REPL)
- Highly Portable
- Works on many Unix-like/POSIX compatible platforms as well as Windows, Mac OS X, BeOS etc.
- Large standard library
How to get Ruby:
Most Linux distributions either come with Ruby preinstalled or allow you to easily install Ruby from the distribution's repository of free software. Mac OS X comes with Ruby already installed. You can also download and install Ruby on Windows.
Tutorial version : 2.2.0
Next: Ruby Installation
- New Content published on w3resource:
- Scala Programming Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Python Itertools exercises
- Python Numpy exercises
- Python GeoPy Package exercises
- Python Pandas exercises
- Python nltk exercises
- Python BeautifulSoup exercises
- Form Template
- Composer - PHP Package Manager
- PHPUnit - PHP Testing
- Laravel - PHP Framework