Python: Sort one list based on another list containing the desired indexes
Python List: Exercise - 218 with Solution
Write a Python program to sort one list based on another list containing the desired indexes.
- Use zip() and sorted() to combine and sort the two lists, based on the values of indexes.
- Use a list comprehension to get the first element of each pair from the result
- Use the reverse parameter in sorted() to sort the dictionary in reverse order, based on the third argument
def sort_by_indexes(lst, indexes, reverse=False): return [val for (_, val) in sorted(zip(indexes, lst), key=lambda x: \ x, reverse=reverse)] l1 = ['eggs', 'bread', 'oranges', 'jam', 'apples', 'milk'] l2 = [3, 2, 6, 4, 1, 5] print(sort_by_indexes(l1, l2)) print(sort_by_indexes(l1, l2, True))
['apples', 'bread', 'eggs', 'jam', 'milk', 'oranges'] ['oranges', 'milk', 'jam', 'eggs', 'bread', 'apples']
Visualize Python code execution:
The following tool visualize what the computer is doing step-by-step as it executes the said program:
Python Code Editor:
Have another way to solve this solution? Contribute your code (and comments) through Disqus.
Previous: Write a Python program to split values into two groups, based on the result of the given filtering function.
Next: Write a Python program to build a list, using an iterator function and an initial seed value.
What is the difficulty level of this exercise?
Test your Python skills with w3resource's quiz
Python: Tips of the Day
Big Number Readability:
you can separate zeros with underscore (_)
print(2_000_000) print(2_000_000 +1)
- New Content published on w3resource:
- Scala Programming Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Python Itertools exercises
- Python Numpy exercises
- Python GeoPy Package exercises
- Python Pandas exercises
- Python nltk exercises
- Python BeautifulSoup exercises
- Form Template
- Composer - PHP Package Manager
- PHPUnit - PHP Testing
- Laravel - PHP Framework