SQL JOINS on HR Database: Display the first and last name and salary for those employees who earn less than the employee earn whose number is 182
SQL JOINS on HR Database: Exercise-7 with Solution
7. From the following table, write a SQL query to find those employees who earn less than the employee of ID 182. Return first name, last name and salary.
Sample table: employees
SELECT E.first_name, E.last_name, E.salary FROM employees E JOIN employees S ON E.salary < S.salary AND S.employee_id = 182;
first_name last_name salary James Landry 2400.00 Steven Markle 2200.00 TJ Olson 2100.00 Ki Gee 2400.00 Hazel Philtanker 2200.00
Relational Algebra Expression:
Relational Algebra Tree:
Have another way to solve this solution? Contribute your code (and comments) through Disqus.
Previous: From the following table, write a SQL query to find all departments including those without any employee. Return first name, last name, department ID, department name.
Next: From the following table, write a SQL query to find the employees and their managers. Return the first name of the employee and manager.
What is the difficulty level of this exercise?
Test your Programming skills with w3resource's quiz.
SQL: Tips of the Day
MYSQL OR vs IN performance:
In many database servers, IN() is just a synonym for multiple OR clauses, because the two are logically equivalent. Not so in MySQL, which sorts the values in the IN() list and uses a fast binary search to see whether a value is in the list. This is O(Log n) in the size of the list, whereas an equivalent series of OR clauses is O(n) in the size of the list (i.e., much slower for large lists)
- New Content published on w3resource:
- HTML-CSS Practical: Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Java Regular Expression: Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Scala Programming Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Python Itertools exercises
- Python Numpy exercises
- Python GeoPy Package exercises
- Python Pandas exercises
- Python nltk exercises
- Python BeautifulSoup exercises
- Form Template
- Composer - PHP Package Manager
- PHPUnit - PHP Testing
- Laravel - PHP Framework