SQL Exercise: Find the results of penalty shootout matches
SQL soccer Database: Joins Exercise-59 with Solution
59. From the following table, write a SQL query to find the results of penalty shootout matches. Return match number, play stage, country name and penalty score.
Sample table: match_details
Sample table: soccer_country
SELECT match_no, play_stage, country_name, penalty_score FROM match_details a JOIN soccer_country b ON a.team_id=b.country_id WHERE decided_by='P' ORDER BY match_no;
match_no | play_stage | country_name | penalty_score ----------+------------+--------------+--------------- 37 | R | Poland | 5 37 | R | Switzerland | 4 45 | Q | Poland | 3 45 | Q | Portugal | 5 47 | Q | Germany | 6 47 | Q | Italy | 5 (6 rows)
The said query in SQL that selects a list of matches that were decided by penalty shootouts, along with their relevant information such as the stage of play, the name of the country that played in the match, and the penalty score.
The JOIN clause combines match_details and soccer_country tables based on the team_id and country_id columns.
The WHERE clause filters the results to only include matches that were decided by penalties. The 'P' is an abbreviation for penalty shootouts.
The results are sorted by match number in ascending order.
Relational Algebra Expression:
Relational Algebra Tree:
Sample Database: soccer
Have another way to solve this solution? Contribute your code (and comments) through Disqus.
Previous SQL Exercise: Find the position of the player who scored an own goal.
Next SQL Exercise: Goals scored by players based on their position.
What is the difficulty level of this exercise?
Test your Programming skills with w3resource's quiz.
SQL: Tips of the Day
How to drop all tables from a database with one SQL query?
USE Databasename SELECT 'DROP TABLE [' + name + '];' FROM sys.tables
- Weekly Trends
- Python Interview Questions and Answers: Comprehensive Guide
- Scala Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Kotlin Exercises practice with solution
- MongoDB Exercises, Practice, Solution
- SQL Exercises, Practice, Solution - JOINS
- Java Basic Programming Exercises
- SQL Subqueries
- Adventureworks Database Exercises
- C# Sharp Basic Exercises
- SQL COUNT() with distinct
- Java Collection Exercises
- SQL COUNT() function
- SQL Inner Join
We are closing our Disqus commenting system for some maintenanace issues. You may write to us at reach[at]yahoo[dot]com or visit us at Facebook