Python: Geometric progression
Python List: Exercise - 244 with Solution
Write a Python program to initialize a list containing the numbers in the specified range where start and end are inclusive and the ratio between two terms is step. Returns an error if step equals 1.
- Use range(), math.log() and math.floor() and a list comprehension to create a list of the appropriate length, applying the step for each element.
- Omit the second argument, start, to use a default value of 1.
- Omit the third argument, step, to use a default value of 2.
from math import floor, log def geometric_progression(end, start=1, step=2): return [start * step ** i for i in range(floor(log(end / start) / log(step)) + 1)] print(geometric_progression(256)) print(geometric_progression(256, 3)) print(geometric_progression(256, 1, 4))
[1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256] [3, 6, 12, 24, 48, 96, 192] [1, 4, 16, 64, 256]
Visualize Python code execution:
The following tool visualize what the computer is doing step-by-step as it executes the said program:
Python Code Editor:
Have another way to solve this solution? Contribute your code (and comments) through Disqus.
Previous: Write a Python program to check if a given function returns True for every element in a list.
Next: Write a Python program to that takes any number of iterable objects or objects with a length property and returns the longest one.
What is the difficulty level of this exercise?
Test your Python skills with w3resource's quiz
Python: Tips of the Day
Big Number Readability:
you can separate zeros with underscore (_)
print(2_000_000) print(2_000_000 +1)
- New Content published on w3resource:
- Scala Programming Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Python Itertools exercises
- Python Numpy exercises
- Python GeoPy Package exercises
- Python Pandas exercises
- Python nltk exercises
- Python BeautifulSoup exercises
- Form Template
- Composer - PHP Package Manager
- PHPUnit - PHP Testing
- Laravel - PHP Framework