Python: Input a filename and print the extension of that
Python Basic: Exercise-7 with Solution
Write a Python program to accept a filename from the user and print the extension of that.
Sample filename: abc.java
Python str.rsplit(sep=None, maxsplit=-1) function:
The function returns a list of the words of a given string using a separator as the delimiter string.
- If maxsplit is given, the list will have at most maxsplit+1 elements.
- If maxsplit is not specified or -1, then there is no limit on the number of splits.
- If sep is given, consecutive delimiters are not grouped together and are deemed to delimit empty strings.
- The sep argument may consist of multiple characters.
- Splitting an empty string with a specified separator returns [''].
filename = input("Input the Filename: ") f_extns = filename.split(".") print ("The extension of the file is : " + repr(f_extns[-1]))
Input the Filename: abc.java The extension of the file is : 'java'
Visualize Python code execution:
The following tool visualize what the computer is doing step-by-step as it executes the said program:
Python Code Editor:
Have another way to solve this solution? Contribute your code (and comments) through Disqus.
Previous: Write a Python program which accepts a sequence of comma-separated numbers from user and generate a list and a tuple with those numbers.
Next: Write a Python program to display the first and last colors from the following list.
What is the difficulty level of this exercise?
Test your Python skills with w3resource's quiz
Python: Tips of the Day
Unpack variables from iterable:
# One can unpack all iterables (tuples, list etc) >>> a, b, c = 1, 2, 3 >>> a, b, c (1, 2, 3) >>> a, b, c = [1, 2, 3] >>> a, b, c (1, 2, 3)
- New Content published on w3resource:
- Scala Programming Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Python Itertools exercises
- Python Numpy exercises
- Python GeoPy Package exercises
- Python Pandas exercises
- Python nltk exercises
- Python BeautifulSoup exercises
- Form Template
- Composer - PHP Package Manager
- PHPUnit - PHP Testing
- Laravel - PHP Framework