SQL Exercise: Without the spaces, count each employee name characters
SQL employee Database: Exercise-8 with Solution
[An editor is available at the bottom of the page to write and execute the scripts.]
8. From the following table, write a SQL query to count the number of characters except the spaces for each employee name. Return employee name length.
Sample table: employees
SELECT length(trim(emp_name)) FROM employees;
length -------- 7 5 5 5 7 5 8 6 4 6 6 6 6 6 (14 rows)
The given query in SQL that selects the length of the trimmed employee names for all rows in the 'employees' table.
In the "trim" function, leading or trailing spaces are removed from the employee name, and the "length" function returns the length.
Sample Database: employee
Have another way to solve this solution? Contribute your code (and comments) through Disqus.
Previous SQL Exercise: Employees with Hiredate in format February 22, 1991.
Next SQL Exercise: List employees id, salary, and commission.
What is the difficulty level of this exercise?
Test your Programming skills with w3resource's quiz.
SQL: Tips of the Day
Grouped LIMIT in PostgreSQL: Show the first N rows for each group?
db=# SELECT * FROM xxx; id | section_id | name ----+------------+------ 1 | 1 | A 2 | 1 | B 3 | 1 | C 4 | 1 | D 5 | 2 | E 6 | 2 | F 7 | 3 | G 8 | 2 | H (8 rows)
I need the first 2 rows (ordered by name) for each section_id, i.e. a result similar to:
id | section_id | name ----+------------+------ 1 | 1 | A 2 | 1 | B 5 | 2 | E 6 | 2 | F 7 | 3 | G (5 rows)
PostgreSQL v9.3 you can do a lateral join
select distinct t_outer.section_id, t_top.id, t_top.name from t t_outer join lateral ( select * from t t_inner where t_inner.section_id = t_outer.section_id order by t_inner.name limit 2 ) t_top on true order by t_outer.section_id;
- Weekly Trends
- Python Interview Questions and Answers: Comprehensive Guide
- Scala Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Kotlin Exercises practice with solution
- MongoDB Exercises, Practice, Solution
- SQL Exercises, Practice, Solution - JOINS
- Java Basic Programming Exercises
- SQL Subqueries
- Adventureworks Database Exercises
- C# Sharp Basic Exercises
- SQL COUNT() with distinct
- Java Collection Exercises
- SQL COUNT() function
- SQL Inner Join
We are closing our Disqus commenting system for some maintenanace issues. You may write to us at reach[at]yahoo[dot]com or visit us at Facebook