SQL join a table to itself
Join a table to itself
A SELF JOIN is another type of join in SQL which is used to join a table to itself, especially when the table has a FOREIGN KEY which references its own PRIMARY KEY.
In this join, the participating table appears twice after the FROM clause and is followed by aliases for the tables that qualify column names in the join condition
In this join, those rows are returned from the table which are satisfying the conditions.
Sample table: company
To get 'company_name' and 'company_city' from 'company' table which is entitled as alias 'a' and 'company_name' form 'company' table which is entitled as alias 'b' after an SELF JOINING with a table itself, the following SQL statement can be used:
SELECT a.company_name,b.company_name,a.company_city FROM company a, company b WHERE a.company_city=b.company_city;
COMPANY_NAME COMPANY_NAME COMPANY_CITY ------------------------- ------------------------- ------------- Order All Order All Boston Foodies. Jack Hill Ltd London Jack Hill Ltd Jack Hill Ltd London Akas Foods Akas Foods Delhi Foodies. Foodies. London Jack Hill Ltd Foodies. London sip-n-Bite. sip-n-Bite. New York
This is a note for the example:
'a' and 'b' are aliases for the table 'company'.
the a.company_city=b.company_city excludes all pairs containing companies of different cities.
Here is a new document which is a collection of questions with short and simple answers, useful for learning SQL as well as for interviews.
Practice SQL Exercises
- SQL Exercises, Practice, Solution
- SQL Retrieve data from tables [33 Exercises]
- SQL Boolean and Relational operators [12 Exercises]
- SQL Wildcard and Special operators [22 Exercises]
- SQL Aggregate Functions [25 Exercises]
- SQL Formatting query output [10 Exercises]
- SQL Quering on Multiple Tables [7 Exercises]
- FILTERING and SORTING on HR Database [38 Exercises]
- SQL JOINS
- SQL SUBQUERIES
- SQL Union[9 Exercises]
- SQL View[16 Exercises]
- SQL User Account Management [16 Exercise]
- Movie Database
- BASIC queries on movie Database [10 Exercises]
- SUBQUERIES on movie Database [16 Exercises]
- JOINS on movie Database [24 Exercises]
- Soccer Database
- BASIC queries on soccer Database [29 Exercises]
- SUBQUERIES on soccer Database [33 Exercises]
- Hospital Database
- Employee Database
- More to come!
Want to improve the above article? Contribute your Notes/Comments/Examples through Disqus.
SQL: Interview question/Tips of the Day
DDL: Data Definition Language
With the DDL the schema of a database can be defined
- Also contains statements to control the access path to the
e.g. create table, alter table, create view, create index
- Correspondingly also delete statements drop ..
- New Content published on w3resource:
- Scala Programming Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Python Itertools exercises
- Python Numpy exercises
- Python GeoPy Package exercises
- Python Pandas exercises
- Python nltk exercises
- Python BeautifulSoup exercises
- Form Template
- Composer - PHP Package Manager
- PHPUnit - PHP Testing
- Laravel - PHP Framework