MySQL VAR_POP() function
MySQL VAR_POP() function returns the population standard variance of an expression. Population variance is a statistical measure that quantifies the average squared deviation of values from the mean in a dataset.
This function is useful in -
- VAR_POP() quantifies the spread or dispersion of values around the mean (average) in a dataset.
- The population variance helps you understand the variability or dispersion of data points within the entire population.
- When analyzing data, VAR_POP() helps assess the distribution of values and provides an indication of the typical deviation from the mean.
- Population variance is used in inferential statistics to make inferences or predictions about the entire population based on the characteristics of the sample.
- Population variance can use to compare the variability of different populations or datasets and assess their similarity or difference.
- Population variance is used to assess the significance of differences between groups or populations.
- Population variance is used to calculate confidence intervals for population parameters.
Where expr is an expression.
MySQL Version: 8.0
Example: VAR_POP() function
The following statement returns the population standard variance of 'total_cost' from purchase table.
Sample table: purchase
SELECT VAR_POP(total_cost) FROM purchase;
mysql> SELECT VAR_POP(total_cost) -> FROM purchase; +---------------------+ | VAR_POP(total_cost) | +---------------------+ | 99472.222222 | +---------------------+ 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
- Weekly Trends
- Python Interview Questions and Answers: Comprehensive Guide
- Scala Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Kotlin Exercises practice with solution
- MongoDB Exercises, Practice, Solution
- SQL Exercises, Practice, Solution - JOINS
- Java Basic Programming Exercises
- SQL Subqueries
- Adventureworks Database Exercises
- C# Sharp Basic Exercises
- SQL COUNT() with distinct
- Java Collection Exercises
- SQL COUNT() function
- SQL Inner Join
We are closing our Disqus commenting system for some maintenanace issues. You may write to us at reach[at]yahoo[dot]com or visit us at Facebook