HTML blockquote tag and element
1. HTML blockquote elementcontains a long quotation.
2. If set, the value of the cite attribute of the blockquote element contains a URL which is a reference to the source the quotation.
3. In most of the browsers, text enclosed within blockquote element is shown with an indentation, which can be changed using CSS margin property.
HTML blockquote element is a blocklevel element.
Whether both start and end tags are required
HTML blockquote element can contain one or more block-level elements, script element and inline elements.
Can reside within
HTML blockquote element can reside within APPLET, BLOCKQUOTE, BODY, BUTTON, CENTER, DD, DEL, DIV, FIELDSET, FORM, IFRAME, INS, LI, MAP, NOFRAMES, NOSCRIPT, OBJECT, TD, TH.
Attributes specific to this element
language information and text direction
HTML 4.01 strict, HTML 4.01 transitional, HTML 4.01 frameset.
Example of using HTML blockquote element
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"> <html> <head> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <title>html blockquote tag example</title> </head> <body> <blockquote>Freedom is not worth having if it does not connote freedom to err. It passes my comprehension how human beings, be they ever so experienced and able, can delight in depriving other human beings of that precious right.</blockquote> </body> </html>
View this example in a separate browser window
Online practice editor
Test your Programming skills with w3resource's quiz.
- Exercises: Weekly Top 12 Most Popular Topics
- Pandas DataFrame: Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Conversion Tools
- SQL Exercises, Practice, Solution - SUBQUERIES
- C Programming Exercises, Practice, Solution : For Loop
- Python Exercises, Practice, Solution
- Python Data Type: List - Exercises, Practice, Solution
- C++ Basic: Exercises, Practice, Solution
- SQL Exercises, Practice, Solution - exercises on Employee Database
- SQL Exercises, Practice, Solution - exercises on Movie Database
- SQL Exercises, Practice, Solution - exercises on Soccer Database
- C Programming Exercises, Practice, Solution : Recursion